Our journey began with the Rugged Maniac. This race is a 5k through a motocross track. It is complete with 12 foot walls to jump over and fire to go through.This was the perfect place to start. It would be a great challenge and it would motivate us to get where we needed to be for the Mudder.
![]() |
| Pre-race photo op: Logan, Mom, Dad, me, Anthony, and my cous Julia |
I made it through the first leg. The only thing that kept me moving was the fact that I couldn't just quit. Even if I quit, I would still have to turn around and walk back. It would actually be easier to finish than to quit (in some ways). So I trudged on.
We hit the first obstacle, a tire jungle. No problem! From there we had to jump across logs and scale a couple of moderately sized walls. After those we came to, what I affectionately call, the hill from hell:
![]() |
| The Hill from Hell |
I think this was about the point that the obscenities started flying. I'm not very proud of it, but sometimes you can't avoid it in the heat of the moment. I wish that I could say we had been keeping up with skinny speedo boy, but truthfully he was from the wave after us. The first to pass us.
From here there was a 25 foot slide (which almost made my heart stop), a water pit to swim through ( did I mention it was 40 something degrees that day?!?), and more mud to crawl through. It was an intense experience.
![]() |
| Bloody and muddy, but oh so alive! |
This was one of the best experiences of my life. I would not trade it for anything. I earned a new different appreciation for my family and for myself. I am stronger than I ever thought I was. I will finish the Mudder next year and I will look and feel amazing doing it. This year we have The Color Run (January), the Gladiator Rock 'n Run (March), and then the Warrior Dash (April). It won't ever be easy, but it will be worth it.
So here's to all of us... Mom, Dad, Logan, Ant, and Julia. We are Rugged, we are awesome, and soon we'll be Tough!
PS: I can't write this and leave off the beer shot, now can I?
![]() |
| For full disclosure: Logan has a water, since he was not yet 21. |





No comments:
Post a Comment